The turmoil that brewed in Nigeria last week will go into the history book of Nigeria, it will be difficult for many to forget the tragic incident that occurred across the country.
It all started a few weeks ago while SARS and police are brutalizing and violating human rights in society. They killed innocent people in the name of fighting against crime and corruption. This is the rampant behavior of the SARS group they went around terrorizing the peace of the people in the society.
So, all these do not go well with many Nigerians and it calls for a protest where youths raise their voice to the government to disband the group. The hashtag #ENDSARS is what the youths hold onto. However, the peaceful protest turned bloody starting from Tuesday 20th at Lekki toll gate while it was reported that military men attacked the unarmed protesters and released fire on them.
Many lives were claimed and the violence erupts from there and grows wide across the country wherever the youths are protesting before the issue begins to die down gradually.
Social media were flooded with the happenings, and many people were updated via social media. But some people (our leaders) are saying some of the things seen are not real and fake.
So, the minister of information and culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed on Tuesday 27th October spoke that the country is sitting on a keg of gun powder regarding the issue of fake news and need to immediately begin curb and regulate the social media space.
According to him, one of the biggest challenges facing Nigeria is the issue of fake news, and that the federal government has decided to launch a national campaign against fake news. He said the government will not stop the use of social media but will try to have a policy that regulates social media and put the rate of false news or fake news into check.
Though, all that he said didn’t go well with some Nigerians and many reactions from the people were not in his support. Some were even blasting him and all sorts.